Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Son of Ogres - Week Two - Day Two


G'day folks! I am on Chapter 31 of my rewrite of Son of Ogres. I figure I am at the 2/3rds mark for this book. It feels strange to rewrite characters I have been so familiar with for sooo long (twenty years for those of you just tuning in). Making them younger can be challenging especially in terms of dialogue, both spoken and internal. They way they react to the other characters who are now in many cases older than them have to be different. Discussions they once led are now conversations they have to follow.


I have done rewrites of this book before. In one interesting case, one of the characters switched genders. My wife Yvonne suggested the main character should be a woman instead of a man. I really fought her on that one because that was a big change in how I envisioned the protagonist. But she eventually wore me down and I changed the character to be female, and it ended up being the better choice.


Continuing on my write of passage,
James Baron

No comments:

Post a Comment