Monday, January 11, 2010

NANUQ – Week One – Day One


So today it was time to put FLAME aside and start tackling Book II: NANUQ. This one is a children’s book, and it takes place in my home town of Churchill, Manitoba.

The story takes place in 1976, the year that the Town Centre Complex was built. It’s about an 11-year old boy whose father is believed to have been drowned when his skidoo goes through the ice of Hudson Bay; his body is never recovered. The boy refuses to believe his father is dead. He thinks he is simply lost and will eventually find his way home. Three days after the accident a polar bear appears in his bedroom. The bear can talk and tells the boy his name is Nanuq.

I have eight pages of notes already, and the first three chapters were written back in October of 2006. The actions of the book only cover six days, so it will not be a very long book. This story should take the shortest time to write. Once it is finished, I might even try writing another book set in Churchill. This one would be a murder mystery.

Now, now. I can hear what you are saying: Isn’t writing 4 books enough!?!? I don’t know. We will see what happens. I promise to keep you posted.

Continuing on my write of passage,
James Baron

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you're writing about Churchill! Sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete